Guards turn thieves, loot Parle jeweller | india | Hindustan Times
Today in New Delhi, India
Feb 19, 2017-Sunday
New Delhi
  • Humidity
  • Wind

Guards turn thieves, loot Parle jeweller

india Updated: May 27, 2009 01:19 IST
HT Correspondent
HT Correspondent
Hindustan Times
Guards turn thieves

They used a fake identity to get a job as a security guard in a commercial society, surveyed the area for few days, identified the shop to be targeted and then robbed valuables.

The police are looking for two men in their mid-thirties who broke into the Vardhaman Jewellers store in a busy commercial complex in Vile Parle (East) in the early hours of Monday.

They stole Rs 1.5 lakh, 4.5 kg of gold and seven kg silver. The booty has been valued at least Rs 72 lakh.

The men, who worked as security guards in the complex, are the prime suspects as they have been missing from the time of the incident.

According to the police, a man who had identified himself only as Ashok joined the Jai Ambe Security Agency and asked to be deployed at Agarwal market near Vile Parle station.

The police are questioning the agency owners.

They suspect he had surveyed the area when he was posted at the C wing for 14 days and identified the store to be looted.

He then brought in the prime accused, Krupashankar Singh, as the security guard of D wing to fill in for a guard who had gone on leave, police said.

It is still unclear whether the two knew each other.

“After working for a day, Singh committed the crime,” said senior inspector Maruti Naik. “He broke into Vardhaman Jewellers from the rear side by breaking the shutter.”

“Both the security guards have been missing since then. We suspect both of them to be behind the crime,” Naik said.

The police found that the security agency did not have any records of the accused — no photographs were taken, no verification done when they employed.

Investigators have sent sketches of the accused to the modus operandi branch of the city police to ascertain whether they have any past records. The police also found that the commercial complex did not have any security systems or closed circuit cameras.

The store owner’s father died on Monday night.

The police said his death was due to a prolonged illness and had nothing to do with the incident.