Indian doctor Mohd Haneef, who was exonerated of terror charges in connection with the failed UK car bombings, has expressed hope that the Australian government would compensate him for the damages caused to him as he was "wrongly" implicated in the case.
"I would be very grateful if they look into this aspect, some of the damages that authorities have done to me previously. I'm very hopeful of this," he said replying to a question on whether he would seek compensation from the Australian government.
In a legal victory for Haneef, the Federal Court on Friday upheld a decision to reinstate the work visa of the Indian doctor.
New Labour Immigration Minister Chris Evans has said Haneef was entitled to return to work after the court verdict.
Haneef said the Federal Court's decision had proved that his detention was wrong.
"The things that have come up later... That they had kept me in custody for no reason, that's wrong," he was quoted as saying by The Age newspaper. "Then they charged me, there is no basis for that."
On Monday, Haneef said he needed reassurance from authorities that he and his family would be safe in Australia before he can consider returning to the country.
He said he wanted to return to Australia to continue his medical training.
However, Haneef said his wife Firdous was reluctant to accompany him to Australia with their newborn baby because "of the trauma which I have undergone throughout this ordeal".
Haneef's visa was cancelled by the former Howard government on character grounds.