Haneef may go to the Middle East
The Indian doc, wrongly accused of terror links by Australian Govt, says his family is against his return to Australia.india Updated: Jan 06, 2008 03:50 IST
Indian doctor Mohammed Haneef, wrongly accused of terror links by the Australian government, says his family is against his return to Australia and he may consider working in the Middle East.
"My family is strongly opposed to my going back there," the Bangalore-based Haneef told reporters in Bangalore on Saturday.
"I have a few offers from the Middle East," said Haneef, who returned on Thursday after the Haj pilgrimage.
"I am looking forward to working soon," he said, declining to name the countries from where he has received offers.
The 27-year-old doctor was working as a registrar at the Gold Coast Hospital when he was arrested by Australian Federal Police (AFP) in July last year on suspicion of links with a failed terror plot in Britain.
He was detained for 25 days and his work visa was cancelled. He was released in July as AFP could not establish the charges. Recently an Australian court restored his right to get back his work visa.
However the new Australian government has not made any move to welcome Haneef back.
AFP has also not categorically stated that they will no longer investigate Haneef. He has sought a firm assurance from the government and AFP on his and his family's safety and security.
"Unless we get such a reassurance, we will not go back."
"I will take a final decision on the issue in about two weeks," he said.