Milk from animals in many parts of Haryana and Uttar Pradesh has been found to be carrying dangerous bacteria that can pose serious health risks to consumers.
The sensational findings have come after milk samples were tested at the laboratory of Lala Lajpat Rai University of Veterinary & Animal Sciences (LRUVAS).
The samples were taken from eastern part of Uttar Pradesh and nine districts of Haryana. During the past one year,
927 samples were failed the test out of the total of 1,575 samples.
According to scientists, dangerous bacteria such as Streptococcus, Staphylococcus and E. Coli were detected during the tests of samples.
Streptococcus is a spherical bacterium that often causes diseases such as scarlet fever or pneumonia. Staphylococcus is a bacterium that typically occurs in clusters resembling grapes, normally inhabits the skin and mucous membranes, and may cause disease.
These bacteria commonly infect the skin, eyes, and urinary tract, and some produce toxins responsible for septicemia and food poisoning.
Besides this, samples were found to have blood stains which can cause many diseases including throat infection and TB (tuberculosis).
Scientists have cautioned owners to ensure that animals are not allowed to sit within one hour of the milking at any unhygienic place.
SS Chaudhary, in-charge, LRUVAS, veterinary unit, sub-station at Uchani, said that the bacteria found in the samples are not only bad for the health of a consumer but adversely affect the output of milk from animals.
These bacteria cause a disease namely Mastitis which is basically an inflammation of animal’s udder, Dr Chaudhary
said, adding that bacteria enter into the body of the animals through the hole of animal’s teat.
He suggested that milking must be done with clean hands. The disease is spreading fast because of the reason that animals are not placed in hygienic conditions.
Chaudhary said, however, these bacteria are minimal in the pasteurised milk.