Haryana Jat quota agitation round 2: June 5 protest keeps authorities on toes

  • Neeraj Mohan, Hindustan Times, Kaithal
  • Updated: May 31, 2016 11:22 IST
Two companies of the Rapid Action Force have been called in Rohtak. (Manoj Dhaka/HT Photo)

With the All India Jat Aarakshan Sangharsh Samiti (AIJASS) threatening to go ahead with another round of agitation from June 5 in the wake of the Punjab and Haryana high court stay on reservation granted to Jats and five other communities, district authorities are making elaborate arrangements to deal with the situation.

Deputy commissioners are issuing statements in newspapers warning the people not to participate in the agitation as the government will take stern action, which may include sedition charges, arrest and sealing of their properties. “The government is in action mode this time and people (who are planning to join agitation) should not take it lightly as they will have to face stern action”, said a deputy commissioner in the region, on the condition of anonymity.

He said as per the directions issued by the government, the police were collecting details of the people who had indulged in violence during the quota agitation in February. If they joined the agitation again, their properties would be attached and sold to recover losses, he added.

Moreover from June 2, special training camps will also be organised for duty magistrates to deal with any eventuality, an official said. The main motive of the training was to teach them how to tackle the situation in case of violence. They would also be briefed about the situations in which they would give orders for firing.

Read: Jats adamant on stir, central forces take guard in 7 dists


Meanwhile, the AIJASS has already declared that they will go ahead with the agitation from June 5.

Jat leaders said that this time they would not block the road and rail traffic in the cities and the focus of the agitation would be on villages.

On the other hand, sources in the government said this time protesters would not be allowed to hold protests at several places and only one location would be identified for their protest, which will be under the monitoring of the police and paramilitary forces. Talking to Hindustan Times, AIJASS national president Yashpal Malik said, “By imposing sedition charges, they cannot stop me from coming to Haryana. I will visit various districts in the state and the protest will go on peacefully.”

He added, “We will not block road and rail traffic this time and village-level protests will be organised. District-level committees will be formed to monitor the agitation. It is ironical that the government has imposed sedition charges on Jats, who had always stood in the forefront for the security of the nation.”


The Kaithal district administration has warned Jat leaders in the district of strict action if they would provoke people for agitation. The police have collected the details of 99 people from the district, who were involved in the quota agitation in February.

Talking to HT, Kaithal SP Sumit Kumar said, “The paramilitary forces have arrived in the district and they will be deployed as per the situation.”

He said, “Directions have already been issued to those who were leading the agitation in February. This time we will not allow any blockade of road and rail traffic.”

The sources in the police said that they would arrest Yashpal Malik and others if they got directions, as he had already been booked.

However, there are no threats of agitation in the northern districts. Yamunanagar deputy commissioner SS Phulia said, “As of now, there is no need for paramilitary forces in the district, but we will review the situation on June 3, and the next step will be taken after that.”

Read: Jat stir: Haryana submits Prakash Singh panel report to HC

also read

Yadav family feud: Ramgopal’s future bleak, could lose RS post
Show comments