Haryana works out Rs 4,900-cr compensation for safety zone
The Haryana government has worked out a compensation amount of about Rs 4900 crore to be paid by the ministry of defence (MoD) on account of creating a 300-metre buffer zone around Gurgaon Air Force station and ammunition depot. The MoD had earlier decided to reduce the safety zone from 900 metres to 300 metres around the Air Force ammunition depot.india Updated: Nov 18, 2015 10:30 IST
The Haryana government has worked out a compensation amount of about Rs 4900 crore to be paid by the ministry of defence (MoD) on account of creating a 300-metre buffer zone around Gurgaon Air Force station and ammunition depot. The MoD had earlier decided to reduce the safety zone from 900 metres to 300 metres around the Air Force ammunition depot.
The Works of Defence Act provides for imposing restrictions on the use and enjoyment of land in the vicinity of works of defence so that such land may be kept free from buildings and other obstructions and for determining the amount of compensation to be made on account of such imposition.
The Urban Local Bodies department on Tuesday filed an affidavit in the Punjab and Haryana high court stating that the constructions raised within the buffer zone may be violations or unauthorised constructions, but cannot be said to be encroachments. The department said that before demolition of the constructions in the restricted buffer or safety zone, a financial award has to be determined by the Collector appointed by the central government who will issue a public notice asking for claims.
“All the powers to remove buildings or constructions erected in contravention of the Works of Defence Act are that of the Central government. The state government would provide necessary assistance to Ministry of Defence in removing the constructions in accordance with the provisions of the Act,” the department said in its affidavit. The high court consequently on Tuesday sought a reply from Centre on Haryana’s affidavit by December 22.
Khattar holds meeting
Meanwhile, chief minister ML Khattar on Monday held a meeting to discuss the tentative compensation amount on account for the 300-metre restrictions imposed around the Air Force ammunition depot.
“If 300- metre restriction is imposed, about 630 acres having about 3,400 structures will get affected. The tentative compensation worked out by the government is about Rs 4,500 crore for the land since there will be complete restriction to use it as per the Works of Defence Act and about Rs 400 crores on account of demolition of structures on this land,” said an official.
Haryana finance minister Capt Abhimanyu was also present in the meeting, besides the officials of urban local bodies and town and country planning department.