The Delhi High Court on Wednesday issued notice to the Central Bureau of Investigation and former Haryana chief minister Om Prakash Chautala on a plea for directions to the politician to surrender immediately.
Chautala, who is out on bail after being convicted in the 1999-2000 JBT recruitment scam, was directed by the HC last week to surrender by October 17.
Senior advocate Vivek Tankha, appearing for Gurgaon-based lawyer Hemant Sharma, contended that Chautala intends to “misuse the grace period of 17 days given to him to surrender,” by planning to campaign during that period.
The Haryana assembly election will be held on October 15 in a single phase.
Justice Siddharth Mridul expressed strong displeasure at the CBI for failing to notify the court on the issue. “His bail was cancelled for campaigning in Jind last month. Why has the CBI not taken note of all this (election campaign)? The CBI does not seem to be aggrieved by this,” the high court said and posted the matter for further hearing on October 10.
The PIL said that Chautala had released a tour programme of his campaign which has been published in news reports. It also contended that the INLD leader intended to use the intervening period before his surrender “to campaign extensively in the state of Haryana”.
Chautala, who was first granted interim bail on May 21, 2013, has been getting extension of bail on the grounds that he was admitted to Medanta Hospital, Gurgaon due to bad health.
On July 11, 2014, the HC reserved its verdict on the appeals of 55 convicts, including Chautala’s, in the JBT scam case.
A special CBI court on January 22, 2013 had convicted and sentenced Chautala, his son Ajay and eight others to 10-year jail term each for illegally recruiting 3,206 junior teachers in 2000.