Hearing in J&K sex scam case on Sept 25 | india | Hindustan Times
Today in New Delhi, India
Aug 22, 2017-Tuesday
-°C
New Delhi
  • Humidity
    -
  • Wind
    -

Hearing in J&K sex scam case on Sept 25

A local court on Saturday fixed September 25 for hearing the Jammu and Kashmir sex racket case, featuring some former ministers and bureaucrats, that has been transferred to a Chandigarh court on Supreme Court's direction.

india Updated: Sep 16, 2006 14:22 IST

A local court on Saturday fixed September 25 for hearing the Jammu and Kashmir sex racket case, featuring some former ministers and bureaucrats, that has been transferred to a Chandigarh court on Supreme Court's direction.

"The hearing in the case will now be taken up by the court on September 25. The bail applications of the accused will also be taken up the same day," CBI's special prosecutor RK Handa said.

Sessions Judge BS Mehndiratta, who will preside over the trial, said he needed to go through the case files and fixed September 25, according to Handa and another CBI special prosecutor Rajan Malhotra.

The CBI counsels said Srinagar Central jail authorities had sought more time to shift the accused and make security-related arrangements.

Handa said senior Jammu and Kashmir bureaucrat Mohammad Iqbal Khanday, who is among the 14 accused whose cases were transferred to Chandigarh, was present in the court. He had earlier been granted interim bail.

The Supreme Court on September 4 had transferred the cases of 14 persons, including two former ministers of J&K, from Srinagar to Chandigarh for trial after they were chargesheeted by the CBI.