Henin-Hardenne announces split from husband
The 24-year-old, who has won five Grand Slams, married Pierre-Yves Hardenne in November 2002.india Updated: Jan 24, 2007 11:48 IST
Justine Henin-Hardenne, the world number one before being overhauled by Maria Sharapova this week, announced that she has split with her husband after four years.
The Belgian, who pulled out of the Sydney International and Australian Open citing personal reasons, said it had been a tough few weeks.
"The last few weeks were difficult for me and my team. First I must announce to you that Pierre-Yves and I have decided to separate. The reasons are personal. I request of you to respect my privacy," she said on her website.
The 24-year-old, who has won five Grand Slams, married Pierre-Yves Hardenne in November 2002.
She said she would return to action in the Open Gaz De France in Paris early next month.
"On the tennis side of things, I have begun training again. I also have slightly altered my schedule. I will play at the Open Gaz De France in early February," she said.
"It's not far from my home, and it's always pleasant for me to be in Paris."
"This will be my first tournament for the season. I hope to find my form, and as usual will give all of myself. I'm looking forward to once again giving you exciting emotions."
Henin-Hardenne controversially retired injured midway through the final here last year, handing the title to the Frenchwoman Amelie Mauresmo.
She reached all four Grand Slam finals last year, but only won the French Open.