Highlights: UP manifesto of Congress
The Congress party on Tuesday released its manifesto for Uttar Pradesh promising free electricity to education to ST/SC and backwards castes and also pledged to transform state in the next five years.india Updated: Jan 31, 2012 20:24 IST
* A world class public transport including a metro Rail Service in Lucknow, Kanpur, Agra, Meerut, Varanasi and Allahabad (on the model of Delhi metro rail).
* A world class road quadrilateral in Uttar Pradesh connecting Lucknow, Kanpur, Varanasi and Allahabad.
* Upgrade Meerut-Delhi highway into a world-class highway and dedicate it to 1857 Inqlab Kranti.
* Upgrade airports and airstrips across the state and set up three new greenfield airports.
* Connect all villages of UP by all weather roads within five years.
* Upgrade the state bus network and upgradation of all city and town roads.
* A new Food Security Bill, universalised pension for old age citizens, widows and the disabled persons. Bring a policy for preferential employment for widows, single women and disabled persons in government jobs.
* A special package for infrastructure development in all the backward regions- on the model of Bundelkhand package.
* Reform the Mandi system to make it moré farmer friendly.
* Ensure easy accessible agriculture loans at 6% interest rate.
* A new electricity policy, a separate agriculture power grid to ensure farmers get adequate power- bring light to home of every BPL, SC and ST household in UP by providing them free metred connections.
* 25 % procurement of UP government through SC/ST/OBC and minority owned enterprises.
* To facilitate thorough CBI probe into NRHM scam and corruption in MNREGA.
* Launch a special programme for Heritage Tourism on the pattern of Rajasthan.
* It promises to launch separate and distinct ‘Missions’ to ensure adequate attention to key agriculture areas. UP Pulses Mission to make UP Pulses Bowl of India.
* UP Horticulture Mission to make UP Horticulture Hub of India.
* UP Edible Oils Mission to ensure adequate supply of edible oils.
* UP Dairy Mission on the model of Amul.
* Self Help Group model for milk collection.
* A new industrial policy with emphasis on Micro, Small and Medium entrepreneurs, to free entrepreneurs from red tape and provide fiscal incentives and tax holidays to set up units.
* Revive industry in the state by promoting traditional clusters and create 40 new clusters.