Homage for the victims and words of support for India's battle against terrorism poured in from across the world as the first anniversary of the 26/11 Mumbai attacks was observed on Thursday.
Paying tribute to victims of the deadly terror strikes that left 166 people dead, Australian Defence Minister John Faulkner said such attacks were a reminder that the threat of terrorism continued and there is need for constant vigilance.
"Australia was deeply shocked and appalled by the deadly and horrific attacks. Today, as we remember the victims we need to remind ourselves that the threat of international terrorism continues. We must remain vigilant and work together to defeat terrorism in all its forms," he said.
Hundreds of Indians along with Australians and people of other nationalities joined a candlelight vigil at the Federation Square in Melbourne to remember the victims.
British Prime Minister Gordon Brown condemned terrorism in all its forms and said that on the anniversary of the attacks, "my thoughts are with the people of Mumbai".
He said the UK will work "shoulder to shoulder with India and our international partners" to confront the common threat of terrorism.
"The attacks in Mumbai last year were an outrage. No one who watched the events unfold on television will forget the way that those responsible sought to cause the greatest fear and suffering," Brown said.