Honey 'cure' for hangover
Got a bad hangover? Try honey on toast, says a new study. Researchers from the Royal Society of Chemistry claim to have found that taking honey, the natural sweetener, is a great way to help the human body deal with the toxic effects of a hangover.india Updated: Dec 24, 2010 14:09 IST
Got a bad hangover? Try honey on toast, says a new study.
Researchers from the Royal Society of Chemistry claim to have found that taking honey, the natural sweetener, is a great way to help the human body deal with the toxic effects of a hangover.
According to them, the fructose in the honey which is also found in golden syrup is essential to help the body break down alcohol into harmless by-products.
"The happiness comes from alcohol. The hangover comes from acetaldehyde. This is the toxic chemical into which alcohol is converted by the body and it causes a throbbing headache, nausea, and may be even vomiting.
"The hangover disappears as the acetaldehyde is slowly converted to less toxic chemicals," 'The Daily Telegraph' quoted lead researcher Dr John Emsley as saying.
According to him, serving the honey on toast adds potassium and sodium to the meal which also helps the body cope with the alcohol.
Dr Emsley also said that drinking a glass of milk first, sticking to clear alcohols such as gin and mixing in the occasional soft drink were helpful as was sinking a pint of water before you go to bed.
He added: "The milk slows down the absorption of alcohol, which means there is less acetaldehyde for the body to deal with at any one time.
"Gin is alcohol twice purified by distillation and the botanical flavours it contains are mere traces. Avoid dark coloured drinks which contain natural chemicals that can adversely affect you.
"Alcohol increases water loss, hence the frequent trips to the loo. This dehydration makes a hangover worse, so moderate your drinking with a soft drink now and again, and drink a large glass of water before you go to sleep."