Tips every globetrotter should keep in mind while travelling.
1. Know the airlines baggage rules. If you are flying from India to the US, your baggage allowance will be higher then for internal flights. So, before you pack bottles of chutney for your aunt, do keep in mind the extra moolah you may have to shell out.
2. If you know you are going to shop a lot, pack light when you leave.
3. Research international roaming charges of various mobile operators. Nowadays, there are multiple options for international roaming SIM cards, so don’t blindly use your current operator’s international roaming rates; they are sometimes the highest.
4. Keep loose change handy when collecting your forex and try to take small denomination notes.
5. Do find out from your credit card or debit card company what are the charges applicable for transactions. Though it may seem insignificant, the total charges may work out to be huge.
6. If you are a shopaholic, find out about VAT refunds and the process applicable to the country you are travelling to. You may need to show the product to the officers at the airport to claim the refund, so leave for the airport early.
7. Look for calling cards that offer the best deals to make calls back to India. They are sold at forex counters, railways stations, etc.
8. For free wi-fi connection, look for coffee shops such as Starbucks.
9. Visit the local tourism office as they sometimes have brochures offering discount vouchers for the ‘must-see’ sights.
10. If you want to eat at an expensive restaurant, lunch may turn out to be a cheaper option than dinner.
— Compiled by Chetna Joshi Bambroo
(With inputs from Yogesh Shah of www.thebackpackerco.com)