Hospital heater burns baby to death
An infant died on Monday after suffering burn injuries caused by a heater at Nagpur’s Government Medical College and Hospital in Maharashtra. A nurse had placed the heat convector in the children’s ward near the five-day-old boy on Sunday.india Updated: Feb 23, 2010 00:01 IST
An infant died on Monday after suffering burn injuries caused by a heater at Nagpur’s Government Medical College and Hospital in Maharashtra. A nurse had placed the heat convector in the children’s ward near the five-day-old boy on Sunday.
State Minister for Medical Education, Vijay Kumar Gavit, who visited the hospital on Monday and met the child’s parents, admitted to lapses on part of hospital authorities, and ordered a probe.
The parents allege the nurse pushed the heater closer to the baby during the night, while the nurse claims it was somebody from the infant’s family.
The child suffered severe burns on the legs and hips, and died on Monday morning.
“My child died because of hospital officials’ negligence,” said the victim’s father, Praveen Kale (32), a resident of Khedi village in Nagpur’s Narkhed tehsil. “They did not remove the heater on time.”
However, Dr Dipti Jain, unit in-charge of the medical college, said the hospital was probing the causes of death.
“It has not been established who shifted the heat convector closer to the child,” she said, adding that the infant was also suffering from jaundice and other complications.
“On Sunday morning at 9 am I visited the ward and found that the baby was normal,” she said. “At 11.45 am, I got a call from the hospital that the child sustained burn injuries.”
The child was one of the male twins born to Durga Kale on February 17 at a private nursing home in Nagpur.
Investigation officer R.V Sonwane said the police “will register an offence against the concerned nurse, if required”.