A newborn suffered severe burn injuries after the incubator he was kept in caught fire on Saturday, at Sushila Jaswantrai Maternity Hospital in UP district of Meerut, 72 km north-east of Delhi.
The baby was taken to the intensive care unit but later referred to Indraprastha Apollo Hospital in Delhi, as Meerut has no burns unit.
The child “suffered severe burns as the incubator caught fire due to an electrical fault”, said Dr Kavita Jain. Born to one Kavita of Khatauli in UP’s Muzaffarnagar district, the baby was delivered under the supervision of Dr Jain. Hospital sources said the baby suffered 80 per cent injuries.
Indraprastha Apollo confirmed Kavita’s baby was brought to the hospital. A statement from the hospital said the child was “admitted in the Intensive Care and is critically ill”, and that he was on life support system.
The statement also said his “critical condition has been explained to his relatives”.
Krishanpal Singh, the baby’s grandfather held the Meerut hospital staff responsible for the incident. “The baby’s grandmother informed the nurse on duty (who) raised an alarm only after smoke filled the room.”
No complaint has been filed with the police yet. The baby is Kavita’s second; the first one was “born dead” in the same hospital last year.