Hotel sweeper in Mumbai Central dies of electric shock | india | Hindustan Times
Today in New Delhi, India
Dec 13, 2017-Wednesday
-°C
New Delhi
  • Humidity
    -
  • Wind
    -

Hotel sweeper in Mumbai Central dies of electric shock

A 24-year-old employee of Hotel Balwas in Mumbai Central was electrocuted around 4.30 pm on Sunday, the police said.

india Updated: May 25, 2009 01:04 IST
HT Correspondent

A 24-year-old employee of Hotel Balwas in Mumbai Central was electrocuted around 4.30 pm on Sunday, the police said.

Ashok Yadav (24) had gone for a bath when the incident took place, said officials of the DB Marg police station.

He was taken to Harkisondas Hospital in Charni Road where he was declared dead before admission.

“A case of accidental death has been registered and investigations are on,” said Senior Inspector N.R. Mali.

Employed as a sweeper, Yadav was working at the hotel since three years. “A loose electric wire had been dangling near the bathroom door,” said a police official. “When Yadav shut the door, the wire got cut and the current passed on to the aluminum-coated door.”

The police said Yadav had forgotten to take his towel. And when he pushed the door open to come out, he got a shock. “The bathroom floor where he was standing was soggy. His hand was wet and so the impact was severe,” said Mali.

As the current passed through his body, Yadav cried out in pain, the police said, adding that his screams were heard by two other sweepers who happened to be around.

“One of the two tried to push open the bathroom door but he too got a shock,” said a police officer. “He then kicked the door open after which he pulled out Yadav and took him to hospital.”