How can the police settle a rape case, asks the High court | india | Hindustan Times
Today in New Delhi, India
Apr 25, 2017-Tuesday
New Delhi
  • Humidity
  • Wind

How can the police settle a rape case, asks the High court

india Updated: Jun 14, 2011 01:17 IST
Urvi Mahajani

The Bombay high court on Monday slammed the police for allegedly trying to settle a rape case by asking the accused to give a house and car to the victim.

The division bench of justice BH Marlapalle and justice UD Salvi was hearing a petition filed by a Santacruz-based businessman Aminuddin Saeed.

According to Saeed, in February 2010, his industrialist friend Umesh Reshamwala, who suffers from polio, sought his help saying that a woman had threatened to lodge a rape complaint against Umesh, if he did not buy her a house and a car.

When Saeed approached the police, assistant police inspector Balasaheb Khade, who was earlier posted at the Oshiwara police station, had allegedly demanded Rs2 lakh from the petitioner.

Pradip Havnur, Saeed’s advocate, said the Anti Corruption Bureau (ACB) failed to act against Khade, and the police instead arrested Saeed and his friend Reshamwala for

allegedly raping an upcoming model.

The court said that an affidavit filed by former police commissioner Sanjeev Dayal had clearly stated that the police had received a letter from the ACB informing them that they had received a complaint against Khade for demanding money from the petitioner.

“However, instead of registering a compliant, Khade was pleading on her behalf, asking the petitioner to give a house in Mumbai and a car to the victim,” Dayal’s affidavit stated.

Dayal had directed an inquiry against Khade, following which he was suspended.

After going through Dayal’s report, justice Marlapalle said: “The accused has to be arrested immediately. We are aghast….”, adding, “Has the police manual been changed? If a rape complaint is filed, where is the question of settlement?”