Tuesday’s trust vote in Uttarakhand assembly is expected to end the nearly-two-month-long political impasse in the hill state.
Ten points on how the day unfolded leading to the test
1. Congress MLAs and four members supporting Harish Rawat met party leaders Ambika Soni and Gulab Nabi Azad at a private hotel on Tuesday morning. From here, the party MLAs headed to the assembly
2. Twenty seven BJP MLAs met at another hotel with leader of opposition Ajay Bhat and did a quick recap before moving to the assembly
3. Harish Rawat was present at the Assembly gate with former minister Yashpal Arya. He greeted all MLAs, including BJP members.
4. Hours before the trust vote, BSP supremo Mayawati announced support of her two MLAs to the Congress and soon the two legislators surfaced after remaining ‘untraceable’.
5. As expected, BJP rebel MLA Bhim Lal Arya was seen with Congress members.
6. Congress MLA Rekha Arya gave a shock to the Congress, who was claiming her support. She entered the assembly with BJP MLAs and even flashed a victory sign.
7. The leader of Congress legislative party (CLP), Harish Rawat, sought the trust vote as soon as the House met at 11 am.
8. Twenty eight members - 27 from the BJP and one Congress rebel Rekha Arya - believed to have voted against the motion. Thirty four members - 27 Congress, one rebel BJP, three independents, two BSP and one UKD member - believed to have voted in favour of the motion (this includes the speaker’s vote).
9. The video-taped House proceedings will be sent to the Supreme Court inside a sealed envelope carrying details about the votes.
10. The BJP members were the first to come out of House followed by the Congress members.