We tell you what factors need to be kept in mind to bake a perfect loaf of bread...
1. Keep it fresh: Make sure the ingredients you’re using are all as fresh as possible, starting with the yeast. Active dry yeast is now sold in single packets and is easily available. Just make sure to check the “best before” date carefully before using. Another trick is to use cake yeast for the bread.
2. Flour it: Almost as important as the yeast you’re using is the yeast. You need to find bread flour as it is high in protein content, and that is what gives the bread it’s particular texture. Ordinary baking flour won’t give you the same result.
3. Top it: The toppings you might be considering for use also affect the baking quality. Use an egg glaze to attach any other toppings like sesame seeds and nuts. It will also give a shiny golden crust to the bread loaf. But if you brush milk on the loaf before baking, it will be a lot softer and more moist. Brushing with butter, too, will get you the same results.
4. Salt to taste: Be very careful with salt to ensure the right amount of savoury taste to the bread. Salt also helps control the yeast development, and prevents bread from over-puffing.
5. Egg mantra: The right amount of eggs will add a richness of taste and colour to your bread. Make sure that number of eggs is in the right proportion with the amount of flour that’s going into the baking.