How to end a phone conversation politely
Don't know how to end a phone call and the other person is chattering incessantly? Here's what you can try.india Updated: Sep 12, 2010 01:05 IST
Don't know how to end a phone call and the other person is chattering incessantly? Here's what you can try.
1. Ask about urgency: Before you decide to hang up, don’t forget to ask the person at the other end if he/she is in urgent need, especially a friend or family member.
2. Be truthful: Tell the truth as far as possible. “Sorry, I’m in middle of a movie” or “I’m driving” or even “Dining with a friend. Will call up when free” is acceptable. You don’t have to lie when not necessary.
3. Be soft yet firm: Be polite but convey your message properly especially when at work. Starting with “I hope you understand, I have some work to attend to...” is better than an arbitrary “I’m busy”
4. Explain well: When someone close calls, tell them clearly about your situation, instead of letting them go on while you are apathetic and cold to them. Nothing hurts as much.
5. Send a text: If you absolutely can’t take the conversation anymore and have to hang up abruptly, drop a text to explain the reason and say you will come back to it.