Hyderabad suicide case: Funeral held in Kashmir | india | Hindustan Times
Today in New Delhi, India
Mar 27, 2017-Monday
New Delhi
  • Humidity
  • Wind

Hyderabad suicide case: Funeral held in Kashmir

india Updated: Mar 05, 2013 00:03 IST
HT Correspondent

The body of the Kashmiri student, who was found hanging from the ceiling in his hostel room in a Hyderabad university, was buried in his native village in south Kashmir's Pulwama district on Monday.

Mudasir Kamran's body reached Parigam village, around 45 km south of Srinagar, in the afternoon.

A pall of gloom descended on the place with thousands of people attending his last rites. Initially, agitated relatives and locals demanded fresh post-mortem on the body.

They suspect there were apparent marks on the body. However, the body was buried later.

Hardline Hurriyat chairman Syed Ali Shah Geelani addressed the funeral procession over phone from Delhi and alleged it was not a case of suicide.

Moderate Hurriyat chairman Mirwaiz Umar Farooq has demanded a thorough probe into the incident and alleged that Kashmiri students were not safe outside the state.

Kamran (29), a PhD scholar at English and Foreign Languages University (EFLU), Hyderabad, was found hanging in his room on Saturday.

The Hyderabad police have ruled out any foul play. Jammu and Kashmir chief minister Omar Abdullah told the ongoing state assembly session that it was a case of suicide and there was nothing mysterious about it.

"We have been probing the matter and have shared the information with the family. We have told them the circumstances under which Muddasir went into depression leading to his suicide," said Omar.

The news of the hanging has further roiled situation in Kashmir, which was simmering in the wake of execution the Parliament attack convict Afzal Guru.

Violent protests broke out in south Kashmir's Pulwana and Shopian districts, where security forces used force to quell stone throwing protesters.

Besides, a general shutdown was observed in the valley with most shops shut and a little traffic on the roads. Police and CRPF chased protesting youths in Srinagar's downtown areas too.

In north Kashmir's Bandipora district, protesters hurled stones at the army vehicle, which was retaliated with force.

The locals alleged the army in its attempt to chase protesters broke window panes of houses and vehicles.

Separatists have asked people to march towards the village of Kamran on Tuesday to express sympathy with the family.

Fearing law and order problem, the security in Pulwama district has been beefed up further.