Hyderabad water contamination raises toll to nine | india | Hindustan Times
Today in New Delhi, India
Sep 22, 2017-Friday
-°C
New Delhi
  • Humidity
    -
  • Wind
    -

Hyderabad water contamination raises toll to nine

Another person died in this Andhra Pradesh capital on Friday due to contaminated drinking water, taking the toll to nine since over 200 people were admitted to hospital on Tuesday after drinking from public taps, officials said.

india Updated: May 08, 2009 19:10 IST

Another person died in this Andhra Pradesh capital on Friday due to contaminated drinking water, taking the toll to nine since over 200 people were admitted to hospital on Tuesday after drinking from public taps, officials said.

Mohammed Yaseen, who was undergoing treatment at a private hospital, died while about 50 others, majority of them children, are admitted to various government-run hospitals.

Six people, including three children, died on Tuesday in Bholakpur neighbourhood after drinking contaminated water from the public taps. Two more people died while undergoing treatment on Wednesday.

Meanwhile, a senior Indian Administrative Service (IAS) officer continued the investigations into the incident, which raised serious questions about the quality of drinking water supplied by Hyderabad Metropolitan Water Supply and Sewerage Board (HMWS&SB).

Residents of some other localities were also admitted to hospitals over the last two days with complaints of vomiting, loose motions and fever.

Chief Minister YS Rajasekhara Reddy has taken serious note of the reports that the officials did not act on the complaints of water contamination for 15 days. He has warned the guilty of serious action.

The city-based Institute of Preventive Medicine (IPM) has found the presence of E Coli in water samples collected from Bholakpur, a lower middle class locality. The bacteria is found in human faeces.

IPM officials said the drinking water was contaminated as the drainage water was getting mixed with it.

The institute has also found that the water supplied in some other areas in the city was also not fit for human consumption.