IIM admissions deferred till April 21
The admissions are postponed to comply with a Govt order on quotas for other backward classes, reports Manish Chandra Pandey.india Updated: Apr 12, 2007 20:43 IST
All IIM directors have unanimously decided to hold back the admission process till April 21.
"We are hoping that by this time the ministry of HRD would do something about the order of the apex court which had stayed the OBC quota in IIMs. Till 21st of April, we can somehow manage, but if nothing happens till then, then it would be a problem for all IIMs," said chairman, admissions, IIM-L Prof Sukumar Nandy while speaking to HT.
He said, no offers were being made by any IIM till April 21. "All the IIM directors had a talk with each other on Thursday after which the decision was made," Prof Nandy said.
At IIM-L the fresh session is to start off from June 21. Forty-five more seats were increased at this institute here to accommodate the quota students. "Along with this there is another proposal to increase the faculty ratio. We are all waiting for the HRD ministry to take some initiative," he said.
IIM-L's media in-charge, Prof Sushil Kumar felt that the entire admission process, which so far was designed to accommodate OBC students might have to be completely reviewed if nothing was done.
However, even as IIMs are sitting on the horns of a dilemma, the anti-quota brigade, which had launched a stir against reservations in institutes of higher education is happy.
"If the HRD ministry decides to oppose the court order we would take to the streets. This time we would protest right outside the IIMs across the country. Now that the court has decided that reservations divided the society, the HRD Minister Arjun Singh should immediately review the earlier order," said Saurabh Shukla, who took his CAT this year.
Another CAT aspirant, Rahul Bose who felt he couldn't make it to IIMs because of the reservation policy said that in case the apex court's directions were not honoured, the anti-quota students would move court.
"Disobeying the court order would tantamount to contempt of court. We feel that despite the court directives, the HRD minister might still come out with a way to bypass the directives. This time we won't let this happen," Bose added.
The anti-quota brigade would launch its website in a couple of days through which it seeks to generate public opinion against the quota policy. "We would release details of the number of hits received everyday in support of the court order," Bose said.