The IIMs have decided to put on hold all admissions till the OBC quota issue is resolved on the directions of the HRD ministry.
The ministry on Thursday night directed all central educational institutions including the IIMs to keep on hold the admission process till the Supreme Court decides on the OBC quota issue. However, the ministry will examine the issue again on April 23, when the court has listed the case for hearing. Following the ministry’s direction, the IIM directors called off their meeting to be held in Delhi on Friday.
The ministry took the decision after an informal talk with heads of country’s top educational institutions. “Since the hearing is not complete, it will be fair to postpone the admissions,” HRD minister Arjun Singh told reporters, while being confident of OBC quota getting implemented from 2006-07 academic year.
Reminding the IIMs of the HRD ministry’s directive of April 5 asking them not to offer admissions till further communication, the latest instruction said “any unilateral decision by any central educational institution would be a violation of the said communication”. While referring to IIM Bangalore’s letter expressing concern over the delay in admissions, the ministry said the Central government was equally concerned.
Pursuing the ministry’s line, the IIMs announced that they would offer admissions to successful candidates for the 2007 programme only after the impasse over the quota for OBCs is sorted out. “In pursuance to the advise of the HRD ministry and in view of the fact that the implementation of the Central Educational Institutions (Reservation in Admission) Act, 2006 is subjudice in the honourable Supreme Court, IIM-A has taken this decision," IIM-A said in a statement. IIM-A website also advised the students to periodically check its website for any further information on admissions.
Similar views were echoed by directors of IIM Indore and IIM Kolkatta, who said the issue was discussed by IIM directors before making the announcement. “We decided there is no harm in waiting for two more days,” said IIM Indore Director SP Parasahar.
However, some IIMs like IIM Kolkata advised students not to panic as students who have taken admissions in private institutions can join IIMs if their name is in the final list of students admitted and the final list for the institute will be out only by June third week.
Ministry sources, however, said the government asked the IIMs to put the admissions on hold as allowing admissions on the pattern of last year would send a wrong message.