Local MP Rao Inderjit Singh, MCG mayor Vimal Yadav and councillors from localities along the Gurgaon Expressway on Saturday raised strong objection over unauthorised access points on the link road. The issue of a mall opening its access near the Delhi-border toll plaza was also taken up.
The reaction came when Singh, along with other senior government officials and the National Highway Authority of India (NHAI) chairman AK Upadhayay, inspected the 27.7-km-long stretch.
This is the first visit of the NHAI chairman to the expressway that opened in 2008.
Initially, there were nine authorised access points on the Delhi-Gurgaon expressway, but the number (including unauthorised ones) has now escalated to 48, thus giving a harrowing time to commuters.
The MP told Upadhayay that the increasing number of unauthorised access points added to traffic chaos, especially during peak hours. The NHAI chairman looked helpless, but has assured to look into the matter.
Later in the day, the convoy of the MP and NHAI chief halted at Hero Honda Crossing, where an underpass is planned to come up. However, its construction has been put on hold for years.
Residents of the nearby villages alleged that the project had been lingering on because of politicians' intervention. They said the politicos were trying to protect the land of an industrialist, which could be acquired.
The NHAI chairman and Singh carried out the inspection, following demands of infrastructure development on the expressway. Planning to ease congestion on the stretch, the government proposes to construct an elevated highway between Rajiv Chowk and Kherki Daula toll plaza, foot-over bridges (FOBs) and underpasses, especially between Rajiv Chowk and Industrial Model Township (IMT), Manesar.