The Goa government has initiated an inquiry into alleged continuing mining operations near the Netravali Wildlife Sanctuary in South Goa, despite an injunction from the Ministry of Forests and Environment.
State Wildlife Warden, Shashi Kumar, said that the forest department has now demanded a probe into M/s A X Poi Palondicarl's illegal mining activity adjacent to the wildlife sanctuary. M/s Palondicar's proposal for production and expansion of ore extraction capacity had been rejected by the National Board for Wildlife Life (NBWL) on April 12, 2010.
However,based on a letter by the Deputy Inspector General (WL), Prakriti Srivastava, to the State Wildlife Warden,the NBWL learnt that the mine was operational inspite of the proposal being rejected.
"Mining operations by M/s A X Poi Palondicar have been in full swing for the past two weeks," the letter said. The Ministry has now asked the forest department to submit a status report urgently and ensure compliance of the decisions taken by the NBWL. At their end, the forest department is still waiting for the feedback report. However, the warden has assured authorities that the concerned department will take immediate action, if the allegations are substantiated.
The NBWL had rejected M/s Palondicar's proposal as the mining activity would have a negative impact on the wildlife in the sanctuary as well as the area's bio-diversity and ecology.
The proposed mining site is situated 5.3 kms to the South East and 6.5 kms to the East of Netravali wildlife sanctuary.