Illegal structures in VVIP zone to go: Centre to HC
The Centre assured Delhi HC that it would demolish all unauthorised constructions in capital's Lutyens Zone.india Updated: Mar 29, 2006 18:56 IST
The Union Government on Wednesday assured the Delhi High Court that it would "demolish without remorse" all unauthorised constructions made in the capital's Lutyens Zone which houses the residences of several VVIPs including Union Cabinet Ministers.
A Division Bench of Justice Vijender Jain and Justice SN Agarwal granted two weeks time to the Centre to file an affidavit on the assurance while posting the matter for further hearing to April 19.
Admitting that some of the occupants have resorted to unauthorised constructions, the Additional Solicitor General Gopal Subramaniam said the Centre was determined to demolish such structures but sought two weeks time to furnish before the court the requisite guidelines and demolition policy.
He maintained that only those structures, which are constructed as per the original guidelines formulated by the Central Public Works Department (CPWD), would be permitted to stay and the rest demolished.
"We are determined and we will remorselessly demolish all unauthorised structures," Subramaniam told the court.
Following the assurance, the Bench asked the Additional Solicitor General to file an affidavit in support of the assurance.
The Additional Solicitor General's appearance in the matter assumes significance as the Bench had earlier sought an explanation from the Centre "as to with what authority the PMO" was framing guidelines for carrying out constructions and alterations in the Lutyen's Zone in violation of the Master Plan.