India disappointed with Victorian premier's decision to skip Mumbai
India expressed its disappointment over Victorian Premier John Brumby cancelling his planned trip to Mumbai during his India visit following a travel advisory that terrorists maybe planning attacks in the city.india Updated: Sep 21, 2009 12:47 IST
India on Monday expressed its disappointment over Victorian Premier John Brumby cancelling his planned trip to Mumbai during his India visit following a travel advisory that terrorists maybe planning attacks in the city. He will reach India tomorrow.
Indian Consul-General in Melbourne Anita Nayar said the premier should have visited Mumbai to send a message that Australians were determined not to be frightened away.
"It would have been great if the premier could have sent that message, but I understand that there are constraints," she told reporters in Melbourne.
"We would have liked him to visit Mumbai. But one can never predict what is going to happen. If he had gone and something happened, everybody would say why did you go?" she said.
Brumby had altered his itinerary after Australia's foreign affairs department on Friday issued a travel advisory warning about the possibility of attacks in Mumbai. He will now spend more time in New Delhi after omitting Mumbai from his itinerary for Wednesday and Thursday.
"We need to be guided by advice that comes from DFAT. That advice came in last week and over the weekend. The unanimous view of the Victoria Police, my department head and my office was that I should change my program and I've done that," Brumby said.