India-Lanka ODI called off | india | Hindustan Times
Today in New Delhi, India
Nov 22, 2017-Wednesday
New Delhi
  • Humidity
  • Wind

India-Lanka ODI called off

The match was called off due to wet ground conditions at the Premadasa stadium.

india Updated: Aug 17, 2006 14:00 IST

Inclement weather continued to play havoc with the Unitech Cup cricket tri-nation series as the match between India and Sri Lanka was called off due to wet ground conditions at the Premadasa stadium in Colombo on Wednesday.

Torrential rains last night and this morning left three big wet patches on the outfield and the ground staff could hardly work as the overcast sky threatened to open up any moment, thus keeping the covers on.

Match referee Chris Broad carried out first inspection at 11.30 am local time when he found the outfield completely damp and decided to carry out second inspection at 2.30 pm but even before they could assess the situation clouds gathered again and covers had to be replaced.

The next inspection was scheduled for 3.30 pm but it began to rain and the match was immediately called off.

The match will now be played on the reserve day on Thursday.

India are looking for their first series win in the island nation since 1998 when they beat Sri Lanka thrice including in the final.

The Lankans have since proved to be tough opponents to beat, and they have an overall 21-20 win-loss home record over the Indians.

The jinxed Unitech Cup, scheduled to start two days ago, is yet to see a ball being bowled.

The event has been thrown into disarray as the opening match between the hosts and South Africa was first rained off on Monday and then called off as the later sought to call off the tour following a bomb explosion not far from their hotel on August 14, the day of the series opener.

Cricket South Africa is expected a take decision on its team participation in the tournament after an independent team of security experts provided a fresh evaluation of the situation.

The CSA has asked the players to remain in Colombo, based on the recommendations by the South African High Commissioner in Colombo, until a final decision on their stay is taken.

The South Africans are scheduled to play their first match on Saturday against India, subject to the decision by the CSA.

"We have been advised by South African High Commissioner in Colombo that all indications are that the team and cricket in general do not appear to be targets in the civil unrest in Sri Lanka," CSA General Manager of Crcket Affairs Brian Basson said in a statement issued by the team management yesterday.

The blast took place less than 2km from the South African team hotel and the players expressed their reservation in continuing the tour.

"The safety of the team has been paramount in all our deliberations, and we have been assured that the upgraded security levels for the team will achieve this.

"In the circumstances, the team will remain in Sri Lanka while the upgraded security measures are beng evaluated," Basson said.