India rubbishes Pak claim on Kasab's custody | india | Hindustan Times
Today in New Delhi, India
Dec 09, 2016-Friday
-°C
New Delhi
  • Humidity
    -
  • Wind
    -

India rubbishes Pak claim on Kasab's custody

india Updated: Feb 18, 2009 20:39 IST

PTI
Highlight Story

India on Wednesday virtually rubbished Pakistan's claim that it had formally sought the custody of Amir Ajmal Kasab, the lone terrorist caught during the Mumbai attacks.

"Let me get the official communication, then I will answer," External Affairs Minister Pranab Mukherjee told reporters in New Delhi when asked for India's response to Pakistan's claim.

Earlier in the day, Pakistan's Deputy Attorney General Sardar Mohammad Ghazi claimed that Islamabad had formally requested India to hand over Kasab, identifying him as the 'prime suspect' in the Mumbai mayhem.

Ghazi said the custody of the lone gunman captured alive during the terror strikes was sought to facilitate 'successful' prosecution of other accused arrested in this country.

New Delhi was taken by surprise by the claim with officials in the Ministry of External Affairs wondering when such formal request was made.

At the same time, the officials indicated that handing over Kasab, the prime accused in the Mumbai attack, would not be possible.