With ceasefire violations continuing along the LoC and International Border, the Indian Director General of Military Operation (DGMO) on Tuesday spoke to his Pakistani counterpart to convey strong concerns even as the possibility of early meeting between them looked bleak.
"Our DGMO called up his Pakistani counterpart and discussed the issue of ceasefire violations," an Army official said, adding New Delhi's concerns were made known to them.
As per the existing arrangement between the two countries, the DGMOs talk over hotline every Tuesday to discuss issues on the Line of Control (LoC) and the International Border.
Tuesday's telephonic talk came at a time when 136 ceasefire violations have been reported on the LoC and International Border in 2013, the highest in the past eight years. Even on Monday, Pakistani Rangers opened fire at 10 border posts.
To address the issue, Prime Minister Manmohan Singh and his counterpart Nawaz Sharif had decided during their meeting in New York last month that the DGMOs will meet.
However, there is no likelihood of an early meeting between the DGMOs, sources in the government said.
It is learnt that the two sides are unable to decide on the common dates for such a meeting.
Since January this year, there has been tension between the two sides on the LoC after the beheading of two Indian soldiers by the Pakistan Army and terrorists supported by it.
The tensions flared up again after the killing of five Indian soldiers inside Indian territory in August this year.
Army Chief Gen Bikram Singh on Monday briefed defence minister AK Antony on the situation on the LoC and the international border and the steps taken by the force to deal with the situation.
After the increasing number of violations, Jammu and Kashmir chief minister Omar Abdullah on Monday said the Centre will have to look at other options if Pakistan continues to violate ceasefire.