Infant dies, negligence alleged | india | Hindustan Times
Today in New Delhi, India
Mar 26, 2017-Sunday
New Delhi
  • Humidity
  • Wind

Infant dies, negligence alleged

india Updated: Sep 17, 2006 14:45 IST

A POOR couple lost its four-month-old son at Hamidia Hospital on Saturday, allegedly due to gross medical negligence and carelessness.

The infant, Manish, was admitted to hospital for treatment of pneumonia and died allegedly due to apathy of attending doctors and nurses, who did not provide timely medicine to him.

Labourer Rambabu Jatav (28) from Paterakhedi village in Biaora got son Manish admitted to Hamidia’s paediatric ward on Tuesday night as the child was suffering from pneumonia. The attending doctor told Jatav to bring medicines from the market. Jatav said his wife Sheela Bai (26) pleaded with attendants and doctors to administer medicine to the child, whose condition was bad, but to no avail.

“My wife’s pleas fell on deaf ears and no one came to provide medication and the condition of my child started deteriorating,” Jatav complained with tears in his eyes.

The child’s mother said that finally at 7.30 pm somebody, probably a junior doctor, administered an injection to the child and thereafter slapped her thrice and also abused her. “It was a shock to me and it happened only because we are poor,” she cried. Eventually, the condition of the child worsened and he died within a few minutes.

However, the worst was yet to come. Soon after the death, the doctors and attendants callously told the mother to leave the
hospital with the body.

“Due care and medication were provided to the child, but he died of cardiac arrest,” defended paediatric ward in-charge Dr Jyotsna Shrivastava, while talking to Hindustan Times. However, the parents found sitting on the hospital premises in a totally shattered condition, alleged that their pleas went unheard. Police said no complaint was filed nor any case registered.

In another similar incident, a youth, Sajid, who was suffering from severe anaemia also died today allegedly due to medical negligence.

He was admitted to the medical ward of Hamidia Hospital for treatment. Relatives of the deceased alleged that the doctors had not paid proper attention to the patient even as his condition was deteriorating. Hospital superintendent Dr S C Tiwari defended that despite providing treatment, the youth died, as he was severely anaemic.