‘Insulted’ Serena accuses Wimbledon of ‘blatant sexism’
Tennis ace, Serena Williams has accused the Wimbledon organisers of favouring male players in the tournament. The 29 -year-old admitted feeling ‘insulted’ as high-profile male stars such as Rafael Nadal and Novak Djokovic were never moved from Centre Court.india Updated: Jun 24, 2011 13:14 IST
Tennis ace, Serena Williams has accused the Wimbledon organizers of favouring male players in the tournament. The 29 -year-old admitted feeling ‘insulted’ as high-profile male stars such as Rafael Nadal and Novak Djokovic were never moved from Centre Court.
Williams also admitted that she found it an indignity to fight her way through large crowds gathering in walkways around Wimbledon as she attempted to get to Court Two, The Telegraph reports.
According to the paper, when Williams was asked if the sisters ‘took it as an insult that they were not automatically put’ on Centre court like Djokovic or Nadal, she said, “Yeah, they are never moved across. Actually, Venus and I have won more Wimbledons together than a lot of the players or by ourselves in doubles even.”
“Like I said, they are not going to change, it does not look like. But I pretty much won all my matches so far on Court Two, so like I said, they're not going to change or doesn't look like it. I just really try to focus on not going down on Court Two. ” she added.
Wimbledon officials have denied that any favouritism has been shown to any player in the tournament.
“There is a complex system of scheduling that takes into account about 29 different factors. No player is treated with any favour,” Wimbledon spokesman Johnny Perkins said.
“But I am sure that the 4000 spectators on Court 2 would have been delighted to watch the women's reigning champion win,” he added.