Inverter blast in Greater Noida, house gutted in fire | india | Hindustan Times
Today in New Delhi, India
Jul 26, 2017-Wednesday
-°C
New Delhi
  • Humidity
    -
  • Wind
    -

Inverter blast in Greater Noida, house gutted in fire

Software engineer JN Patel had never imagined that an inverter he had bought to deal with frequent power cuts would burn down his entire house. The inverter at Patel's D-37 Alfa 1 sector of Greater Noida exploded on Monday, while his family was engaged in a puja.

india Updated: Mar 27, 2012 00:23 IST
HT Correspondent

Software engineer JN Patel had never imagined that an inverter he had bought to deal with frequent power cuts would burn down his entire house. The inverter at Patel's D-37 Alfa 1 sector of Greater Noida exploded on Monday, while his family was engaged in a puja.

The incident comes about two months after a BPO employee in Ghaziabad was burnt to death when his bed caught fire from a short-circuit either in his laptop or mobile charger.

"At the time of the explosion, a Navratra 'havan' was being performed in the other room and there was already a lot of smoke in the house. Therefore, nobody took note of the smoke coming out of the room in which the inverter had been kept," said a police officer.

"A woman in the neighbourhood noticed the fire and informed the family. It took an hour for two fire brigade vehicles to douse the flames. By then much of the house had been destroyed," the officer said.

Family sources said Patel was in his office when the incident took place. His wife Arti, daughters Swati and Anuradha, sons Satyam and Shivam were present in the house. "As soon as they opened the gates of the room in which the inverter had been kept, flames spread out to the whole house," said a fire brigade personnel.

Since their dog was troubling them during the 'havan', the family members had locked it in the bathroom. "We had to make a lot of efforts to rescue the dog. We kept pouring water on the bathroom door till it was safe to get in and rescue the dog," he said.

Fire brigade officials said residents normally kept unused stuff, such as cold drinks bottles and newspaper piles, on inverters, which was not safe and could lead to fire.

In July last year, a young couple and their eight-year-old son were killed in Meerut when their inverter exploded, leading to a fire.