After studying all the written evidence placed at their disposal, Hockey India (HI) decided on Saturday to take “seriously” the allegations levelled by player TH Ranjita against former national coach MK Kaushik.
The body also passed on all the matter it had to the Sports Authority of India and the police to take the matter forward, adding that it would not employ the services of Kaushik, who had anyway resigned, or videographer M Basavraja, who was sacked, in the future.
Hockey India secretary general Narinder Batra said that the evidence submitted by Ranjita “was of high credibility” and that the report submitted by the five-member inquiry panel headed by Rajiv Mehta was not conclusive. They then forwarded the matter to the Ministry of Youth Affairs and Sports for further consideration.
“HI has studied the report and feels that Ranjitha has made specific charges and specific statements that give her allegations credible weightage. The body therefore suggests that the matter should be investigated with into urgently,” said Batra.
Batra added that, in view of the Supreme Court judgement in the Visakha case regarding sexual harassment at the work place and the committee's recommendation that the issue related to Indian Penal Code section 354 (relating to outraging the modesty of a woman), a copy of the report has been marked to the Delhi Police Commissioner.
The inquiry committee report had earlier suggested that the Ministry of Youth Affairs and Sports should investigate into the matter since Kaushik was an employee of Sports Authority of India.
HI however felt that the panel, despite having no coercive powers to verify evidence submitted by both parties, should have recommended action itself rather than ask the ministry to act.