Italian hostage crisis: Talks resume after Maoist threat | india | Hindustan Times
Today in New Delhi, India
Dec 08, 2016-Thursday
-°C
New Delhi
  • Humidity
    -
  • Wind
    -

Italian hostage crisis: Talks resume after Maoist threat

india Updated: Apr 02, 2012 22:33 IST

PTI
Highlight Story

Barely an hour after abductors of Italian national Paolo Bosusco released an audio tape threatening to take stringent action against the hostage, Odisha government and Maoist-nominated mediators on Monday night resumed negotiations over his release, official sources said.

While the government side is represented by home secretary UN Behera, SC-ST secretary SK Sarengi and panchayatiraj secretary PK Jena, Maoists mediators Dandapani Mohanti and BD Sharma participated in the negotiations.

Earlier in the evening, Odisha state organising committee of CPI(Maoist) Sabyasachi Panda released an audio tape demanding immediate release of seven Maoists from jail to facilitate the end of the 19-day hostage crisis involving the foreigner.

The Maoists had on March 25 released Claudio Colangelo, another Italian national.

Cautioning the state government, Panda in the audio tape demanded immediate release of seven persons, including his wife Subhashree Das who is in jail for over a year.

The other persons whose release are demanded are Arati Majhi, Kamala Kanta Sethi, Jonesh Pradhan, Sujatha, Suka Nachika and Gananath Patra.

"The state government is adopting a dillydallying approach to our demands and also planning an operation to release the hostage. The government will be responsible if something wrong happened to the Italian national," Panda said in the audio tape.