J&K fake encounter suspect's home torched | india | Hindustan Times
Today in New Delhi, India
Jan 17, 2017-Tuesday
New Delhi
  • Humidity
  • Wind

J&K fake encounter suspect's home torched

india Updated: Feb 05, 2007 19:09 IST
Highlight Story

An irate mob on Monday attacked the house of senior grade constable of SOG Farooq Ahmad Paddar, the alleged key conspirator in Ganderbal fake encounters at Larnoo in Kokernag and attempted to set the house on fire. However, the police foiled the attempt.

Sources said that around ten thousand people gathered in the village shouting slogans against SOG. The angry protestors marched towards the house of the SOG and pelted stones and bricks on it. They also attempted to set it on fire. Police fired in air to disperse the mob, sources said.

Farooq’s wife and three children were inside, when the house was attacked. However, no one was injured.

The constable is in police custody along with three other police officials Hansraj Parihar (former SP Ganderbal), Dy SP Bahadur Ram and ASI Farooq Ahmad Guddu for their alleged involvement in killing civilians and then faking them as Pakistani militants.
The JKLF chief Mohammad Yasin Malik on Monday held a massive protest rally at Larnoo. Over 15 thousand people are reported to have participated in the rally. The JKLF chief has called a general shutdown on Tuesday against the “unending human rights violations by security forces”. He also has planned to observe hunger-strike for three days from Tuesday.

Meanwhile, normal life was disrupted as residents took to streets in capital Srinagar’s old parts -- Nowhatta, Khanyar -- in protest against the “custodial disappearance” of two youth. The residents shouted slogans and staged sit-in on main roads, blocking the movement of traffic. The shops and business establishments also remained closed in protest.
The residents said that security forces picked up a boy Bashir Ahmad Sofi at Daribal Khanyar on June 17, 2003, whose whereabouts were still unknown. The residents also protested against the custodial disappearance of one Mohammad Yasin Butt.

They alleged that Butt was an Imam of a mosque at Nowhatta, who was arrested in 2000 when he was coming out of the mosque, late in the night. The protestors demanded the arrest of security and police official, who were deployed in the area then.