A Major and his team have been accused of entering a criminal conspiracy to abduct three youths, who were later killed in an alleged fake encounter, in a probe report by Jammu and Kashmir Police handed over to the Army which on Sunday ordered a high-level enquiry into the case.
The report was handed over to the 15 Corps Commander Lt Gen N C Marwah.
The police, in its preliminary probe, has alleged that Major Opinder and his team members including two subedar majors and a sepoy allegedly entered into a criminal conspiracy with locals of Rafiabad including a jawan of Territorial Army -- Abbas Shah -- and kidnapped three youths on the pretext of providing them job, official sources said.
They were later killed on April 30 after being labelled as terrorists.
After receiving the report, Army today ordered a high-level enquiry into the alleged fake encounter and said that proceedings will be "judiciously expedited".
"Based on the preliminary report of the Machhil encounter, received from Jammu and Kashmir Police late evening on 29 May, a high-level enquiry has been ordered by the Army," a defence spokesman said.
He said the enquiry will investigate all allegation, based on the report submitted by the police and efforts were on to "recall" the witnesses as their unit had been de-inducted.
"We will judiciously expedite the proceedings as promised," spokesman Lt Col J S Brar said.
"The only delay we foresee is the recalling of the witnesses who are involved in the incident as the unit has de-inducted after competing its mandated tenure. However, efforts to get them back have already been initiated", he said.
Personnel of 4 Rajputana Rifles had said that they had gunned down the three "militants" while they were attempting to enter into the Valley from across the border on April 30.
However, the claim of the army was contested by the family members of Muhammad Shafi, Shehzad Ahmed and Riyaz Ahmed who said they were not militants.