J&K sex scam: Trial of chargesheeted begins | india | Hindustan Times
Today in New Delhi, India
Feb 21, 2017-Tuesday
-°C
New Delhi
  • Humidity
    -
  • Wind
    -

J&K sex scam: Trial of chargesheeted begins

india Updated: Jul 18, 2006 19:34 IST

The trial of those chargesheeted in the sex scandal in Srinagar began in a sessions court on Tuesday even as Jammu and Kashmir High Court ordered the state government to provide secure accommodation to the minor girl allegedly exploited in the case.

The High Court also authorised the sessions court to choose the trial venue to ensure safety of witnesses and the accused in the case.

Only lawyers were allowed to attend the court of Sessions Judge M Yaqoob Mir while the rest of the people including the media were asked to leave the courtroom.

There were no formal orders for in camera trial of the chargesheeted persons including DIG of BSF KC Padhi, former Additional Advocate-General Anil Sethi, a police officer, and the alleged kingpin Sabeena. The next hearing has been set for Saturday.

Justices Hakim Imtiyaz Hussain and BA Kirmani of the court's Srinagar Bench, meanwhile, directed the government to arrange "adequate and secure accommodation" for Yasmeena, the minor girl allegedly sexually exploited, within a week and "if required, provide her with a personal security officer" till further orders.

On Monday they asked the Advocate-General of the state what steps had been taken by the high-level committee constituted for rehabilitation of the victims of the case.

The government had earlier informed the court that a panel was formed to look into rehabilitation of the victims.

The judges observed "no substantial headway" was made in the probe and asked the CBI to ensure attendance of those "evading participation in the investigation".

The Bench also took strong notice of non-cooperation of police with the CBI in procuring attendance of those wanted in the case.

They said the "lack of lawful action against some highly- placed persons regarding whom materials exist in the case diaries leaves much to be done".

The court asked the Investigating Officer to indicate the proposed line of action by the next hearing on July 24.

It reiterated its previous orders giving the CBI liberty to seek shifting of any "such person(s) from a place of authority who appear(s) to hamper the smooth conduct of investigation".

It said lawful steps should be taken to assure assistance of counsels at the state's expense to the nine persons chargesheeted whose cases had been committed for trial to the sessions court.

tags