Jaitley rebuts charges of misuse of naval helicopter

  • HT Correspondent, Hindustan Times, New Delhi
  • Updated: Dec 27, 2014 19:18 IST

Strongly rebutting the charge of a Goa activist that his family members misused a naval helicopter, finance minister Arun Jaitley has called it 'entirely false' and sought an apology from both the activists and media outlets which published the accusation.

In a statement, Jaitley referred to the allegation by one Aires Rodrigues that his wife and daughter had been flown in a naval helicopter from Dabolim Airport to a resort in Cancona on December 23.

"The news item is entirely false on three counts. Firstly, it was my wife and son (not my daughter) who were in Goa... secondly, they did not use any governmental facility, least of all a naval helicopter." And thirdly, the FM added, "Manohar Parikkar, the defence minister, had not sanctioned the use of any defence helicopter for them. In fact, since it was a purely private visit, Parikkar was not even aware of the fact that they were in Goa."

Jaitley said that no activist had the right to 'invent falsehood and then publicise it over the social media'. He said he was waiting to see whether the activist and the online editions, which published the statement without verification, 'retract from the falsehood and tender apology and express regret over the same'.

also read

ADHM release: KJo, MNS meet CM Fadnavis; tribute to soldiers to be added in film
Show comments