Officials from Jaypee Sports International Limited, the organisers of the inaugural Indian Grand Prix, said that no stone will be left unturned, money be damned, to get the Buddh International Circuit in shape before the track is officially unveiled on next Friday.
A day after HT carried a report and pictures showing the track and the surrounding complex in a grimy state, Jaypee's vice president of communications Askari Zaidi, chose to clear the air and said the organisers won't follow in the path of last year's Commonwealth Games - where many of the venues were incomplete till the eleventh hour.
"The track and buildings are being given finishing touches and equipment is being tested. This process will also be over in next two days time. We have planned to unveil the circuit to the media on October 14, and on October 18 we will hand it over to the FOM. Every day the scenario is changing, if you look at the track today it will look vastly different from the pictures yesterday. In a day, we've got so much done," Zaidi said. "What people have to understand is that this is a company (Jaypee Group) that has over four decades of experience in the construction business. We are best placed to judge what needs to be done. If for example we need 100 workers instead of 10 at a certain spot, then we can do that, money is not an issue. This isn't like the CWG, the track will be unveiled next Friday."
On the goof up involving the drivers' names on the pit garage, Zaidi said, "We got nameplates made for all the drivers and some of the juniors were assigned to put it up. They made a mistake, but we were going to get our senior officials to inspect it before the 14th and would have corrected errors such as those reported yesterday."