Separatist JKLF chief Yasin Malik on Wednesday called upon the United Jehad Council (UJC) chief Syed Salahuddin to initiate a probe into the killings of two civilians in north Kashmir's Sopore area this week by unidentified gunmen.
"I cannot ask the government to probe this incident. We have two guns here, the state and the militant guns. Both have condemned these killings outrightly. So, I ask the UJC chief to form a committee to probe the incident," said Malik in a press conference in Srinagar.
He said there is a need to investigate and identify people behind the killings. Two civilians --- an employee of the BSNL franchise and another victim hosting a mobile tower in his premises --- were killed by unknown gunmen in Sopore, 50 km away from Srinagar, in the past two days.
At least, four attacks on mobile vendors and employees have been carried out by the gunmen since May 1. These attacks followed the incident where the security agencies and the service providers removed a gadget planted by militants on a mobile tower in the area.
"So far both the government and militants have disowned the killings. Then who is behind it?" asked Malik. While hardline Hurriyat chairman Syed Ali Geelani described these killings as "act of terror," Pakistan occupied Kashmir based UJC too distanced itself from the killings.
"We express our condolences to the family of the victims and assure them that mujhadeen (militants) will play their role to expose and punish these miscreants who are trying to create a wedge and spread hatred in the society," UJC spokesperson Syed Sadaqat Hussain quoted Sallahudin as saying.
The UJC described the militant outfit 'Lashkar-e-Islam', which pasted threat posters against mobile service providers, as "fictitious name."