Juventus plead for reduction of sentence | india | Hindustan Times
Today in New Delhi, India
Dec 09, 2016-Friday
-°C
New Delhi
  • Humidity
    -
  • Wind
    -

Juventus plead for reduction of sentence

india Updated: Jul 23, 2006 17:18 IST
Reuters
Reuters
None
Highlight Story

The lawyer representing Juventus at the appeals trial in Italy's match-fixing scandal pleaded for leniency on Sunday, saying that last week's decision by a sports tribunal to relegate the club to the second division with a 30-point penalty would have "devastating consequences".

"Just to survive in Serie B next season we estimate that Juventus will have to earn about 80 points - equivalent to winning 27 of their 40 matches," Cesare Zaccone told the appeal court's panel of five judges.

Juventus were one of four clubs from Italy's top Serie A division found guilty by the tribunal of conspiring with referees and linesmen to rig games during the 2004-05 season.

As well as being sent down to Serie B, the Turin giants were also stripped of their last two Serie A titles.

Zaccone told the court the effects of the sentence were already being felt in the exodus of the club's leading players.

"The career for a footballer is short and some of our best players are world champions," he said.

"None of them wants to risk two years in Serie B or, worse still, relegation to Serie C1 (Italy's third division)."

Italy's World Cup-winning captain Fabio Cannavaro, defenders Gianluca Zambrotta and Lilian Thuram, and Brazilian midfielder Emerson have left since the tribunal announced its guilty verdict last Friday.

Zaccone also asked the court to consider the effects of a heavy sanction on Juventus's income from sponsorship and TV rights, and the effect on investors, who had bought shares in the club.

Juventus have been at the centre of the scandal since it broke in early May with the publication of intercepted telephone conversations between their then general manager Luciano Moggi and senior Italian Football Federation (FIGC) officials, discussing refereeing appointments during the 2004/05 season.

Moggi's conduct, Zaccone argued, did not constitute "sporting fraud" but a violation of the lesser crime of "unfair conduct", which gave the court "greater freedom to choose an appropriate sanction".

The other three clubs found guilty by the tribunal - AC Milan, Fiorentina and Lazio - are also appealing against the verdicts.

Like Juventus, Fiorentina and Lazio were sent down to Serie B with points penalties. Milan avoided relegation, but were thrown out of next season's Champions League and ordered to start their next Serie A campaign on minus 15 points.

The president of the appeals court, Piero Sandulli, said he hoped to finish proceedings on Sunday before retiring to consider the verdicts, which would be released early next week.

The court is working against the clock to meet the July 25 deadline UEFA has set the FIGC to submit its list of teams to compete in next season's Champions League and UEFA Cup competitions.

tags