PROPERTY WORTH lakhs of rupees was destroyed after a short-circuit resulted in a major fire at the Krishnanagar-Kanpur Road branch auditorium of the CMS Degree College here today.
Union Minister of State (Home) Shri Prakash Jaiswal had inaugurated a chief justices’ conference at the venue barely 90 minutes earlier. The intensity of the inferno could be gauged from the fact that the administration had to requisition fire tenders from Unnao as well.
The flames were still to be doused till the last reports came in.
Senior officials, including the DM and SSP all rushed to the site. The fire could have become a major tragedy had the conference guests not retired to the guesthouse adjacent to the auditorium on the college premises.
Employees had spotted smoke billowing out from the third floor of the auditorium and immediately called up the control room and CMS manager-founder Jagdish Gandhi.
About a dozen fire tenders from all the city fire stations, including Alambagh, Hazratganj, Chowk, SGPGI, Army and Sahara, rushed to the site. However, the flames had engulfed the entire auditorium following which, the cops called up the control room in Unnao too.
SP (East) Ajay Shanker Rai, who was supervising the fire-fighting operations, said goods in the auditorium had been reduced to ashes though, nobody was hurt. Employees said the fire had started in the godown that is housed on the the third floor of the auditorium.