Karna warns truckers; says situation improved
The authorities in Karnataka issued a warning to agitating truckers to begin movement of goods as state truckers' federation said the strike would continue till their demands are met by the Govt.india Updated: Jan 11, 2009 22:05 IST
The authorities in Karnataka on Sunday issued a warning to agitating truckers to begin movement of goods as state truckers' federation said the strike would continue till their demands are met by the government. "We have issued a warning and will wait till tomorrow morning to view the situation before taking any action", Sharat Chandra, SP, Hassan, told PTI on Sunday. "The movement of essential commodities continued and the strike appears to be petering off. Nobody is obstructing the movement of vehicles. The situation is improving, he said. "In view of the festival today, some of the trucks had begun plying though the truckers maintained that the strike was on and would continue," he said.
In Belgaum too, the police had issued warning to truckers asking them to resume operations. The strike had been partial with some unions not joining the strike, the authorities said. The Karnataka government had invoked the National Security Act and warned truckers to call of the strike. However, Federation of Karnataka State Lorry Owners and Agents Association on Sunday maintained that the strike was on and would continue till the government acceded to their demands. But there had been some movement of goods in certain quarters owing to pressure from the police, admitted T Babu, General Secretary of Federation of Goods Trucks Association. "The strike continues," maintained Babu when asked about reports of the strike having been broken up in some quarters, and reiterated that the movement of some vehicles had taken place "under duress".
According to B V Naryanappa, Secretary, Federation of Karnataka State Lorry Owners and Agents Association, around 3.6 lakh vehicles owing allegiance to the federation continued to be off the roads. "Only a very negligible section claims to have withdrawn from the strike."