In a major relief to over 2.74 lakh students, Karnataka government on Thursday decided to allow them to continue studies till the end of this academic year in the same schools which were derecognised for running them in English medium contrary to permission given to them for Kannada medium.
Minister for Primary and Secondary Education Basavaraj Horatti, replying to discussions on the issue of derecognition of 2011 schools identified for violating the medium of instruction policy, announced in the Legislative Council that bowing to requests from members, the government has decided to permit 2.74 lakh children studying in them to complete the study this year.
"This is only a one time measure this year but the decision to withdraw recognition granted to 1400 schools already and to the remaining in due course will not change," he said.
There is no question of going back on the decision which has been approved by the state cabinet after due deliberation, said Horatti who came under fire from ruling party members and opposition over the decision to shut down schools that were imparting education in English medium after securing permission to run schools in Kannada medium.
Horatti, defending the government's action in cancelling recognition given to such schools, said there were 2011 schools identified and 1400 had already been derecognised.