Ajmal Amir Kasab, the lone surviving terrorist of the Mumbai terror strikes, on Friday through his lawyer Abbas Kazmi told the court that he was a minor and that the case be transferred to a juvenile court.
But special public prosecutor Ujjwal Nikam said that during investigations it had been found that Kasab’s date of birth is September 13, 1987 and also read Kasab’s confession that showed he was 21-year-old.
According to the Juvenile Justice Act, a minor accused, however serious the crime, cannot be tried by a criminal court. However, the juvenile court will try the minor in accordance with the Code of Criminal Procedure and punish him accordingly while taking a lenient view.
“I spoke to him on Thursday and he told me that he was not even 17-year at the time of the attack. Today, I met him again and he confirmed his stand,” Kazmi said. Special judge M.L. Tahilyani disposed of Kasab’s plea terming it frivolous. But said the court could order an inquiry to determine Kasab’s age at a later stage.
Later, when the prosecution started enlisting the evidence in the case and told the court that it would rely on Kasab’s confessional statement, he told the court that he wanted to retract it. Kasab, through his counsel, moved an application stating that he was tortured in police custody and the confession was recorded under duress.
Faheem’s lawyer withdraws
Advocate Ejaz Naqvi, 26/11 accused Faheem Ansari’s lawyer, on Thursday said he was withdrawing as Ansari’s legal counsel, apparently unhappy about the money being paid to him to carry out his professional duty.
Naqvi, who had represented Ansari since he was brought to the city from Uttar Pradesh, informed the special court that he did not want to continue as the alleged Lashkar-e-Tayyeba operative’s legal counsel.
However, he would continue to be the lawyer for Sabauddin Ahmed, another accused in the same case. “I have informed the court of my withdrawal but will continue to represent Sabauddin in the case,” he said. (PTI)