India will soon hand over to Pakistan the first evidence of the involvement of the Lashkar-e-Tayyeba and Pakistani nationals in the November 26 attack — a letter written by captured terrorist Mohammed Ajmal Amir Kasab to the Pakistan embassy.
Kasab has written a three-page letter to the embassy giving details of Lashkar activities and its chief Hafiz Mohammed Saeed’s involvement in the attack. Saeed is under house arrest by Pakistan authorities.
Rakesh Maria, joint commissioner of police (crime), said: “Kasab’s letter, which also seeks legal aid from the consulate, has been dispatched to the Ministry of External Affairs and the Ministry of Home Affairs to be forwarded appropriately.”
Kasab, who had earlier written to his parents in Faridkot expressing regret, has stated in this letter that he is a Pakistani national and a Lashkar operative. He has also sought consular access for the funeral of his accomplice Ismail Khan in his hometown Dera-Ismail-Khan in Pakistan.
“If Pakistan embassy officials want to verify what is written in the letter, they are welcome to meet Kasab,” said Maria.
Kasab has written about the four people who trained the 10 terrorists. He has stated that while Saeed motivated the group, Zakiur Rehman Lakhvi controlled the operations; Abu Kahafa and Abu Hamza taught the fidayeen group to operate sophisticated weapons, devices and explosives.
The Mumbai police have written to the Pakistan embassy, asking it to collect the bodies of the nine other terrorists.