The Jammu and Kashmir government is yet to consider amnesty in 1,524 cases of youth who participated in street protests in 2010 despite chief minister Omar Abdullah announcing it last year.
After Pulwama district, Omar’s home constituency Ganderbal has seen highest number of prosecution of youth in 2010, according to the home department report submitted to the assembly on Friday.
While south Kashmir’s Pulwama district has highest number of 1009 cases, CM’s own constituency Ganderbal has 247 cases, where youth were either involved or prosecuted by the police.
“The cases of 1524 persons involved in 228 cases are being examined and the orders for the withdrawal of cases falling within the ambit of amnesty scheme are likely to be issued in near future,” said the home department’s report.
In August 2011, Omar announced the amnesty policy on the occasion of Eid in 1300 cases. Announcing withdrawal of cases then, the chief minister said only over 100 cases of arson and damage to public and private property won’t be withdrawn.
But the fresh report reveals that the amnesty was not implemented on the ground. At least 2,704 were facing prosecution for participating in violent protests in 2010, sparked by the killing of a schoolboy on June 11. More than 110 people, mainly youth, died in street protests stretched over five months.
“We could not implement the offer as we are still reviewing over 200 cases affecting 1,500 boys. The relief is expected by December," said law minister Ali Muhammad Sagar.
According to the state home department, the amnesty will apply to first time offenders involved in stone pelting and not in heinous crimes like arson and damage to property.
On February 18, 2012, inspector general of police S.M Sahai also hinted at not implementing the amnesty. “Police have decided to withdraw cases against the youth involved in stone throwing,” said Sahai at a meeting in north Kashmir’s Bandipora area.