Kashmir: situation improving but Friday fear lurking | india | Hindustan Times
Today in New Delhi, India
Feb 21, 2017-Tuesday
New Delhi
  • Humidity
  • Wind

Kashmir: situation improving but Friday fear lurking

india Updated: Feb 14, 2013 20:53 IST
Peerzada Ashiq
Peerzada Ashiq
Hindustan Times
Peerzada Ashiq

Though the internet services continue to remain barred in Kashmir valley for the sixth day in a row, the authorities relaxed curfew in several districts after improvement in situation following the hanging of Parliament attack convict Mohammad Afzal Guru.

"Situation across the valley remained peaceful. A couple of incidents of stone pelting were reported from few places. However, no one was hurt," said the police spokesperson of the zonal police headquarters.

There has been a decline in street protests in the past few days due to tight security.

Most districts, except for the main towns, saw the relaxing of restictions as the situation returned to normalcy on Thursday.

Barring old parts of the city, there was no curfew in Srinagar. However, Sopore, where Parliament attack convict Afzal Guru hailed from, remained under curfew for the sixth day.

Around 3,000 additional paramilitary troops were ferried to the valley in the last 24 hours to contain situation emerging in the wake of Parliament attack convict Afzal Guru's hanging.

In the wake of numerous injuries to security personnel, which, according to sources stand around 80 and around 100 civilian injuries, more troops have been ferried to the valley.

Dozens of vehicles have also been damaged since execution of Guru on February 9.

The authorities have send 1000 additional troops to north Kashmir, while more will be stationed in Srinagar to ensure the situation does not go out of hand.

Around 40 separatists leaders, including Syed Ali Shah Geelani and Mirwaiz Umar Farooq, who are under house arrest in Delhi.

Dozens of youth have been arrested from Srinagar, north and south Kashmir. The police refused to confirm number of arrested from the valley.

"We condemn the police action against separatists and civilian population, suffering due to continuos curfew. It is also condemnable that all communication facilities to the Mirwaiz have been barred to keep him away from his supporters in the valley," said the moderate Hurriyat spokesman in Srinagar.

The Hurriyat spokesperson reiterated its demand that Guru’s body be handed over to his family.

"It should be done without any further delay so that his family can bury him with full religious rites in Kashmir," said the spokesman.

Hardline Hurriyat chairman Geelani has called for Eidgah march on Friday to say last prayers for Guru in absentia.

The whole area is being sealed by the government to prevent the separatists march.